Learn and Support: Volunteering with Good Hope
We would not be where we are today without our big-hearted and motivated volunteers and interns. Do you want to spend some time between jobs, after university, or even a summer break and work in a both challenging and rewarding environment for a month (or longer!) ? Or do you even want to spend a gap-year at Good Hope?
Karibu sana Good Hope! Welcome to Good Hope!
Good Hope is always looking for both national and international volunteers and interns who want to teach in our youth center, accompany our team as a part of the community social work program, and support our NGO administration.
At Good Hope you work with a team of national and international volunteers to teach main subjects such as English, Mathematics, Geography, and Computers, focused on the curriculum of Tanzania’s primary schools. Sports, such as football (soccer) and dancing, are also encouraged and woven into the daily life at Good Hope.
In the past, Good Hope volunteers have also worked together with their friends working at a different NGOs and organized soccer events, dance concerts, and musicals. Good Hope students also participate in the annual fun run of the Kilimanjaro Marathon. As a volunteer, you can actively help to shape this event. Do you have other ideas for fundraising? Your ideas are most welcome! Karibu sana!
Volunteers are also welcome to accompany Good Hope director Oliver on her visits to the teachers and the sponsored students at Don Bosco Secondary School, or at their vocational training centres.
Good Hope happily arranges your stay with you
- Preparation via Mail and/or Skype
- Contact to former volunteers to get individual experiences
- Airport pick-up
- Accommodation either in a local family home, or in a shared volunteer house with volunteers from other organizations
- A local contact person in case of emergency
Unfortunately Good Hope does not have the financial means to offer you an allowance or cover your costs of living. But we promise you a local experience full of exchange and mutual learning in our warm and welcoming community in Moshi.
While working at Good Hope you actively contribute to a brighter future for our marginalized youth in the suburbs of Moshi. But more than that, we welcome you to live with us, learn about a new culture and language. Let us share and learn from each other!
Requirements for volunteering/internship
- Minimum age 18 years
- Good health condition
- Willingness to live a simpler lifestyle (in terms of housing and food, hygiene, recreational opportunities)
- Ability to work in a team
- Openness and respect in dealing with people with a different way of life,
- Good language skills in English and willingness to learn a new language (Kiswahili)
- Energy and independent work
- Show initiative and participation and live out your own creativity
Areas of application
- assist teachers from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Instructional assistance (accompanying and assisting with tasks such as reading/writing/speaking and counting, preparing exercise books and correcting assignments)
- Supervision of the children during break times
- Providing small projects or games for the children
Stepping Stone Class
- Assisting teachers from 8:30am-1:15pm and assisting with lessons in science, math, English, computer class
- Designing own projects and lessons
- Supervision of break times
Social Work (home visits)
- preparation and follow-up of home visits (documenting, preparing interviews, etc.)
- regular supervision of home visits together with social worker Julius
- Meetings together with Good Hope team on issues/families
- bringing in ideas, finding solutions together for the families’ concerns
Marketing and fundraising (also possible remotely)
- Teach the team tips and tricks on reels and Instagram stories, as well as post them yourself
- Help curating our YouTube channel
- Shoot your own videos (Like Florian’s image video, or Vivian’s video)
- Start a fundraising campaign
- Planning an on-site fundraising event
- Write grant applications (grant writing)
- Contribute to the website (write and publish articles and testimonials)
Do you want to read Emilia’s testimonial: CLICK HERE
Of course, you can combine many fields and get a taste of everything!
Are you talented in a particular field?
Marco built something, Kathrin gave a first aid course and Regine did tailoring with the young women in the project. There are no limits!